"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament". ~Oscar Wilde.

"A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament". ~Oscar Wilde.

March 4, 2013

Figures - Color Pencils

Life Drawing II:
3 Figure drawing in color pencils (18x24 in.)

It's really great getting back to my artistic roots. I really enjoy drawing, and this time around I found I enjoyed it a lot more than I remember. The last time I drew strictly with color pencils was my senior year in high school in early 1999, when I learned how to blend colors.

I should draw more often to improve my proportions and my line weight confidence, but it's getting there :)

1 - Monochromatic Primary (one color).
Within the limits of primary colors, I could only really do this drawing in either blue or red. I chose red because there is a lot of tension in the pose and it is not very relaxed. I think the red color picks up on that intensity very well and and allowed me a wide range of tones.


2 - Complimentary Colors (opposites on the color wheel).
This set of colors was a bit more difficult to chose. I wanted to keep a color scheme in tune with the pose once again, but I couldn't very well use blue and yellow (for obvious reasons). I ended up choosing yellow-green and red-purple. I did a lot better than I thought I would on the model's face, but there is still work to be done here too, of course. Someday I'd like to redo this drawing in an analogous blue set of colors.

 
3 - Analogous w/ One Primary (next to each other on the color wheel).
I chose blue, purple, and red-purple for this final drawing. It took a little more time to complete because I constantly went over the tone with the different colors to make sure they were all visible. I think I will do without the figure's outline next time, or at least in a much more subtle tone. In fact, it may work better with a different set of analogous colors all together... I'll try this again too someday


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kael! They took me a little over 2 hours each and were a lot of fun to draw. I wish I had live models though. The shadows and shade is much better when it's in front of you :)

      Delete